Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:17 am 

A friend has asked me to co-host a "feature record" show using Hot Rats as the featured record, on KDRT, 95.7 FM Davis, CA. on your streaming dial.. It's an hour show at a time when we can trick 'em into thinking FZ' music is the answer to all their problems.
As a young vaquero, his traditional music was muy buena!

Any serious q's, comments or observations on the Hot Rats album/CD will be appreciated, as long as we remember we're trying to get new fans and more recognition for FZ!

Thanks y'all,
Trend... oops! No really it's Lirk.

I mean Kirk! With two more eyes, a ship, Kapt. & crew too!

Ya , that'll fix it.... That's all folk's! :)
Attachment:
that__s_all_folks_by_pupazzoso-d4flt79.jpg
that__s_all_folks_by_pupazzoso-d4flt79.jpg [ 182.5 KiB | Viewed 2634 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hot Rats
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:34 pm 

KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
Any serious q's, comments or observations on the Hot Rats album/CD will be appreciated

He say's Hot Ritz and Hot Zitz, why not Hot Clitz?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:20 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:27 pm 

Peaches was voted the best Zappa song by the users of the Zappa Forum, when you could still post polls.

The album was the first that Frank used 16 track equipment, custom made.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:35 am 

KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
A friend has asked me to co-host a "feature record" show using Hot Rats as the featured record, on KDRT, 95.7 FM Davis, CA. on your streaming dial.. It's an hour show at a time when we can trick 'em into thinking FZ' music is the answer to all their problems.
As a young vaquero, his traditional music was muy buena!

Any serious q's, comments or observations on the Hot Rats album/CD will be appreciated, as long as we remember we're trying to get new fans and more recognition for FZ!

Thanks y'all,
Trend... oops! No really it's Lirk.

I mean Kirk! With two more eyes, a ship, Kapt. & crew too!

Ya , that'll fix it.... That's all folk's! :)

I must say that the response to your question is pathetic for a "Zappa Forum"... Maybe it's time for Ahmet to wipe out this cesspool after all, as brainpang suggested over at Zappateers... Anyways - about Hot Rats...

- Maybe Zappa's most iconic title and cover design, as witnessed by several parodies and paraphrases, such as --

- The title is of course an antonym to "cool cats", and I've always felt that Zappa was distancing himself from the cool hipsters of jazz - like Miles Davis - with the gothic and scatological implications of the title for his first proper solo album

- And yet it's reportedly the only Zappa record approved by English hipsters in the late Sixties and early Seventies

- A favourite among fans, but many hard-core Zappaphiles prefer other albums from the same era, such as Burnt Weeny Sandwich. I think the reason is that Hot Rats is a record of its time, as much as Zappa record. The long guitar solos were incredibly hip in 1969 to an audience of Hendrix and Cream fans, but the statistical density of something like BWS is somewhat higher, and thus appeals even more to the hard-cores

- Check out the The Gumbo Variations for an example of a vamp that is soooo Sixties it's incredible that Zappa the hippie critic wrote it. Imagine hot hippie girls and boys in leather jackets with fringes (much like Ian Underwood's outfit at the time) grooving to The Gumbo Variations - it's perfect for the 1966-69 hippie type of "free" dancing with waving hands and hair that was so "in" at the time and looks so corny and "rebelling middle-class" in hindsight...

- Hot Rats is of course notable for Zappa's long guitar improvisations, but also for some significant collaborations - with Ian Underwood, Captain Beefheart, Sugarcane Harris and Jean-Luc Ponty among others

- The genius of the record is the combination of really good music writing - Peaches En Regalia, Little Umbrellas, It Must Be A Camel - and hot improvisations + great musicians throughout

- The recent Universal CD returns to the original LP master tapes, and is possibly the best version ever, but the old CD is also very enjoyable, with different mixes and an extended version of The Gumbo Variations

- In every version and every way - Hot Rats is a timeless Zappa classic!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:19 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
I must say that the response to your question is pathetic for a "Zappa Forum"... Maybe it's time for Ahmet to wipe out this cesspool after all, as brainpang suggested over at Zappateers... Anyways - about Hot Rats...

- Maybe Zappa's most iconic title and cover design, as witnessed by several parodies and paraphrases, such as --
(images)
- The title is of course an antonym to "cool cats", and I've always felt that Zappa was distancing himself from the cool hipsters of jazz - like Miles Davis - with the gothic and scatological implications of the title for his first proper solo album
- And yet it's reportedly the only Zappa record approved by English hipsters in the late Sixties and early Seventies
- A favourite among fans, but many hard-core Zappaphiles prefer other albums from the same era, such as Burnt Weeny Sandwich. I think the reason is that Hot Rats is a record of its time, as much as Zappa record. The long guitar solos were incredibly hip in 1969 to an audience of Hendrix and Cream fans, but the statistical density of something like BWS is somewhat higher, and thus appeals even more to the hard-cores
- Check out the The Gumbo Variations for an example of a vamp that is soooo Sixties it's incredible that Zappa the hippie critic wrote it. Imagine hot hippie girls and boys in leather jackets with fringes (much like Ian Underwood's outfit at the time) grooving to The Gumbo Variations - it's perfect for the 1966-69 hippie type of "free" dancing with waving hands and hair that was so "in" at the time and looks so corny and "rebelling middle-class" in hindsight...
- Hot Rats is of course notable for Zappa's long guitar improvisations, but also for some significant collaborations - with Ian Underwood, Captain Beefheart, Sugarcane Harris and Jean-Luc Ponty among others
- The genius of the record is the combination of really good music writing - Peaches En Regalia, Little Umbrellas, It Must Be A Camel - and hot improvisations + great musicians throughout
- The recent Universal CD returns to the original LP master tapes, and is possibly the best version ever, but the old CD is also very enjoyable, with different mixes and an extended version of The Gumbo Variations
- In every version and every way - Hot Rats is a timeless Zappa classic!

er, yeah.
that's what I was gonna say...
TT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:25 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:

Also:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:41 pm 

I have the original vinyl (still in really good condition but I'm not sure if I bought a first pressing or not back in the early 70s), the Ryko CD and the 200 gm remaster.
While I have a couple of really good stereo systems, my CD player/DACs/burner aren't up to the same level of quality as my turntables are.
Having said that, the 200 gm remaster is far and away the best, the 70s copy would be second place and the CD comes in last. I think I listened to the CD once, burned a copy and put both of them away.
Do burned CD copies sound better? By a little bit but you have to have a good burner; I'm using an Hhb 830 BurnIt! Plus if anyone is interested.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:13 pm 
Banned

SteveFord wrote:
Do burned CD copies sound better?

No stupid. It's digital. Not possible.

Post subject: Re: Hot Rats Cold Cats
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:42 pm 

Thanks y'all, still got a few daze to do 'er up proper like. But the way I see it Barry, this should be a dynamite show. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:39 am 

SteveFord wrote:
I have the original vinyl (still in really good condition but I'm not sure if I bought a first pressing or not back in the early 70s), the Ryko CD and the 200 gm remaster.
While I have a couple of really good stereo systems, my CD player/DACs/burner aren't up to the same level of quality as my turntables are.
Having said that, the 200 gm remaster is far and away the best, the 70s copy would be second place and the CD comes in last. I think I listened to the CD once, burned a copy and put both of them away.
Do burned CD copies sound better? By a little bit but you have to have a good burner; I'm using an Hhb 830 BurnIt! Plus if anyone is interested.
Hope this helps.

Unlike the Ryko CD, which uses the FZ/Bob Stone remix and remaster from 1987, the 2012 Universal CD is sourced directly from the original master tape and sounds very similar to the Classic records 2009 LP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:59 am 

DC Boogie wrote:

Well, I may be alone on this, but I kinda like the idea of this being The Zappa Cesspool! Ugliness! The Worst of the Mothers! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:13 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
SteveFord wrote:
Do burned CD copies sound better?

No stupid. It's digital. Not possible.

How nice.
Yes, it is possible and there are reasons for it.
Get a good burner and give a listen on a revealing system and hear for yourself. Stax headphones would work if you don't have "big stereo".
None of the digital stuff touches the vinyl in my system(s).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:42 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
DC Boogie wrote:

Well, I may be alone on this, but I kinda like the idea of this being The Zappa Cesspool! Ugliness! The Worst of the Mothers! :)

You are not alone RK. I'm kinda proud about The Zappa Cesspool too. 8)

Yes, yes, yes, we're a necessary expensive ugliness... :wink: :lol:

We stink! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:34 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
DC Boogie wrote:

I agree. Plus, some people get tired of having their opinion picked apart like a shitty rack of ribs. Besides, don't you think KK knows plenty about Hot Rats? I would think so?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:50 pm 

Of course the good Kaptain knows plenty about Hot Rats, but he asked for some input. Nuff said.

Post subject: Re: Hot Rats Cold Cuts?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:19 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
Of course the good Kaptain knows plenty about Hot Rats, but he asked for some input. Nuff said.

Mucho gusto for any input or a different take from all y'all involved too man!
I'm just fishin' for any new take on an old time used to be that I listen too all the time since HR came out until today. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:20 am 

Well. Here's some more stuff for you.

Zappa had to bail Sugarcane Harris out of jail to play on the album.

Sugarcane played a solo with no hair on the bow.

Lowell George plays uncredited rhythm guitar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:33 am 

Philostopher wrote:

Lowell said that but I don't believe it. He had a tendency to tell tall tales.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:35 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
Philostopher wrote:

And, Zappa had a tendency not to credit everyone with their input. Since they are both gone, I guess we'll never know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:38 pm 

^ Thats what I'm talken about! :D 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:03 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
Philostopher wrote:

And, Zappa had a tendency not to credit everyone with their input.

Maybe there is an argument that is true of writer credits, but generally not musician credits (until the later YCDTOSA volumes where FZ's memory started fading). My guess is Lowell just went into the studio various times with the Mothers and didn't know what albums he ended up being on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:40 pm 

^My guess is that the man knew the sound of his own guitar playing. :wink:

KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
just fishin' for any new take on an old time used to be that I listen too all the time since HR came out until today.

And that's what I tried to offer. In all yer years, has anyone ever asked you why there is no mention of "Hot Clitz" in the lyrics to Willie The Pimp?

I think Max Bennett and Shuggie Otis also deserve a mention.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:15 pm 

dc boogie wrote:

- The title is of course an antonym to "cool cats", and I've always felt that Zappa was distancing himself from the cool hipsters of jazz - like Miles Davis - with the gothic and scatological implications of the title for his first proper solo album ...
quite the astute interpretation, never woulda thought of it

Quote:
Rat Subterranean News, New York's second major underground newspaper, was created in March 1968 ...

... It seems probable that Frank Zappa was inspired by a sign painted on the front window of Rat‍ '​s 14th Street office, originally the previous tenant's advertisement reading "photostats made while you wait," now neatly altered to proclaim "Hot Rats made while you wait," in early March 1969; Zappa's first solo album appeared in October with that title in similar typography.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:44 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
^My guess is that the man knew the sound of his own guitar playing. :wink:

My guess is he never listened to the album.