Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:30 am 

The Zappa Family Trust has struck a deal with Universal Music Enterprises that is expected to lead to new Frank Zappa product releases, film and theatrical productions and trademark licensing. The first product to come from the deal will be released on August 14 when a remastered version of Frank's One Size Fits All LP will be issued on 180-gram vinyl.

Other future releases mentioned are Joe's Garage, The Musical, an orchestral version of 200 Motels featuring the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Roxy Movie that has been promised to fans since Frank and his band played the historic run of shows in December of 1973. As or now, the remastered One Size Fits All is the only release with a date specified though the partnership hopes to issue more releases by the end of 2015.

"This is literally an opportunity of a lifetime for me," Gail said in a statement. "I am universally thrilled with this partnership because the fans will have unparalleled access to Frank Zappa's works. The doors to the vault are now officially wide open."

"The fans of Frank Zappa will have more music and more access – when they want it and how they want it," Ahmet Zappa added. "With Universal as our partner, I look forward to bringing to life Joe's Garage, The Musical, the release of The Roxy Movie, the release of the Disney Hall performance of 200 Motels under the baton of [conductor] Esa-Pekka Salonen and so many more projects of this caliber. I couldn't be more excited about the future."

Today's announcement also includes word Ahmet is taking over day-to-day operations of the Zappa Family Trust from his mother and Frank's wife Gail Zappa.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/125949/Frank-Zappa-Family-Announces-Deal-For-New-Product-Releases

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:48 am 

Wow.

Congrats to Mrs. Frank Zappa on making it to 100! That must have been satisfying. Perhaps that was her retirement goal all along, why it took so long.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:18 am 

Congratulations to all involved! Sounds like a great development.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:11 am 

Great news.

I wonder if Joe's still the Vaultmeister?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:50 pm 

I hope Gail is all-right...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:53 pm 

...later that night, the official press release:

http://www.msopr.com/press-releases/frank-zappa-has-a-new-home-with-universal-music-enterprises-for-long-term-global-licensing-and-rights-management-agreement/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:21 pm 

Best ZFT news in a long long time.
I can't wait to see what Ahmet does.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:27 pm 

Excellent news! :shock:

Now since someone else is running the show, maybe this means we'll actually get these new releases when they're supposed to be released?!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:09 pm 

The releases haven't been all that quick, but I think they did a good job on the most of the live stuff they've put out. It seems they've seen the gig list and put out stuff that wasn't available on boots. There wasn't enough of it though. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:29 am 

I mentioned this on the Zappateers site too ---- give us the fans a huge listing on useable recordings... stuff that can be released without a ton of work to fix (or hell ALL of it if possible) - WE VOTE ON WHAT WE WANT. By consensus... we all get what the majority is after. We are happy. ZFT gets more revenue too since demand is there. Worth a try.

Go with a bandcamp model for digital download - but reserve some physical release for the die-hards too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:51 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
but reserve some physical release for the die-hards too.

I won't call myself truly die hard (I draw the line at the BTB stuff) but I'm all for physical copies.

I presume there's a lot of tapes that have been digitalised by now as a preparation for the mixing stage of anything that could be released (possibly a big presumption).

The full 4 hours of Halloween 1978 would be nice. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:47 pm 

I guess my question is what does this actually mean? Joe's Garage, the Musical? That high school play that Ben was in? The 200 Motels Orchestral thing I don't think will have much interest. OSFA vynyl is cool but of limited interest too. Roxy movie I guess is the biggest deal amongst fans but I've lost interest. It's been 12 years since the first teaser for chrissakes plus I've generally lost interest in concert DVDs in my old age (I'd much rather listen than look at this point).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:24 pm 

Best music-related news of the year :!:

Yeah, bring on the Roxy DVD, Rage & The Fury, the original Honker Vids on DVD, more Road Tapes, Lost Episodes/Joe's series, etc.

On that Joe's Garage recent play - That's probably something I'd watch/enjoy once and shelve it, so not that interested. The more recent 200 Motels Orchestral performance will be interesting, but that should not be Official Release #101. It's a "cover project/object"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:21 am 

Great news. I'll get that vinyl on release!!

Hoping for the roxy dvd and plenty of full live concerts like Buffalo! '82 and '88 stuff please!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:47 pm 

I mean no disrespect but the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this picture:

"show me your thumb if you're really dumb" :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:56 pm 

Is Gail sick, or sick of the grind? Hope it's not the former.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:48 pm 

Third box from the front, next to Ahmet, says Ponty Mixes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:05 pm 

Norske wrote:

Over at Zappateers Al Fresco posted closeups of a couple of the stacks of tape boxes. In one stack along with Ponty Mixes there is Six Things (a precursor to Orchestral Favorites) and Lumpy Extracts + Ronnie Items. In another there is Valley Girl and an older looking box marked Lenny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:10 pm 

Norske wrote:

I saw that. Oh, the possibilities! :D
It's be great to have *live* concert CD's, DVD's where possible, with every band FZ rehearsed and toured with. Seeing that *Ponty Mixes* tape made me think there's gotta be something from each era of Franks that's close to, or is ready for release. At this point, feed us! Just stuff up the cracks and release it! Or have a special listen for fans, (cover charge to weed out the dikheads) then let us paying fans vote on what's to be released *as is* and what needs attention 1st. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:01 pm 

Isn't it funny how we all zoomed in and saw that Ponty mixes?
Man!! Good times ahead!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:22 pm 

More MOFO type releases please!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:37 am 

Ponty Mixes could be related to the King Kong album.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:37 am 

KUIII wrote:
I guess my question is what does this actually mean? Joe's Garage, the Musical? That high school play that Ben was in?

KUIII,

PHEEEW, I have never seen any evidence that the Open Fist Theatre Company is a High School Musical Theatre Company. Your commentary seems quite a bit misleading and disrespectful of their production efforts.

For anyone that wants to investigate I'll include the following links

Open Fist Theatre Company History
http://www.openfist.org/company%20history.htm

Open Fist Theatre Company Production History
http://www.openfist.org/production%20history.htm

Open Fist Theatre Company Awards and Nominations
http://www.openfist.org/awards.htm

When speaking of Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, I never saw any evidence that it was written as a High School Musical. If there is any thought if you are in any way questioning what Joe's Garage, the Musical is, it would help to take a look at the history of Broadway, listen to the records with the libretto, and ponder the possibilities of Joe's Garage, The Musical with a Broadway budget,or even done by an Off Broadway theater company that has the ability to deliver the vision of the composers intent.

To clarify the point where theater companies take on a musical and put on an Off Broadway production. For example West Side Story. While the results of a any given Broadway production could be glorious, at times Off Broadway productions deserve the due deserved merit of their accomplishment with a limited budget. Pointedly West Side Story has been taken on by many theatre companies, certainly that would include many High School efforts, but I would never put down a reputable theatre company such as Open Fist. Even if Joe's Garage, the Musical is put on with an Off Broadway theater company. I remain very optimistic.

While I did not see the World Premiere of Joe's Garage, The Musical by the Open Fist Theater Company, in reading Steven Leigh Morris LA Weekly article, I would hope that the average Joe well understands that any so called Fanatical Scrutinizer, of getting this on Broadway, or Off Broadway, goes beyond the surface tension of fanatical desire to see the play on their own fanatical terms.

LA WEEKLY - FRANK ZAPPA'S JOE'S GARAGE GETS ITS PREMIERE 29 YEARS ON
by Steven Leigh Morris
http://www.laweekly.com/theater/frank-z ... on-2155852

From my point of view, I'll remain Eyes and Ears open with optimism.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:48 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
In my opinion the 1st priority without a doubt should be the Roxy film. It's been too long. I really hope they listen to us fans and that they will move forward in a swift motion to get stuff out.

Good news, btw.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:55 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I guess my question is what does this actually mean? Joe's Garage, the Musical? That high school play that Ben was in?

When speaking of Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, I never saw any evidence that it was written as a High School Musical.

Since I don't have the official documents in hand from the official release, please see this: (hopefully it is in fact FZ's words copied verbatim)

Fourth paragraph...

http://genius.com/Frank-zappa-act-i-liner-notes-lyrics