Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:07 pm 

(1) Hot Rats (on vinyl) bought for around £2.50 sterling in 1970. Bought on the recommendation of a "cool dude" at school who I overheard saying that "listening to the solo on Willie the Pimp is just like having an acid trip, man." Boy, was he a prick - but I guess I should thank him for getting me started.<br>(2) Then Transparency on vinyl, which was a great intro to all the early MOI stuff. I remember transfering the exciting new sounds on that album onto a completely cheezoid Sanyo tape recorder by holding it close up against the mono speaker of my record player - then playing the less-than-spiffy audio results to my workmates at a weekend job down at the farm. Picking sprouts & hoe-ing cabbage fields to the tinny accompaniment of Brown Shoes and Concentration Moon - ROMANCE!<br>(3) Then - Freak Out to Uncle Meat - then every new vinyl album as it came out. A good illustration of the innocence of those early collecting days: because of the Money cover having to be turned inside-out, I assumed for quite a while that JCB was FZ! Ain't that sweet? And I'll bet that I wasn't the only one ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:45 am 

I'm still only starting out.  First album was Weasels; I had to start somewhere (I'd never heard any of his stuff but, like with Miles, I knew this was a journey I had to take) and the cover drew my attention straight away.  I recall looking at some of the titles and thinking "What can this possibly sound like?".<br><br>After that, Roxy And Elsewhere, Absolutely Free, Sheik Yerbouti, Overnite Sensation and Cheap Thrills.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:23 pm 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=albums;num=1131752980;start=0#2 date=11/11/05 at 17:59:12]Apostrophe'. Had seen it many times in K-Mart (back in '74), and was entranced by the guy on the cover...kinda hypo'tized. When I heard Don't Eat The Yellow Snow, and found out it was by this fellow, I got it immediately. Have been a fan ever since. :)[/quote]<br><br>Back in '74?!<br><br>Oh, I got Absolutely Free. Well, really my dad had SUAPYG which got me to listen to him a bit.

Got Me Wrong

Into The Void

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:38 pm 

I really don't know how to answer this question partly 'cos my memory of events 30 years ago is a bit blurred but also 'cos after getting drawn in by Live At The Fillmore East and Just Another Band From LA circa 1974-75 I had some catching up to do and it kind of spiralled into an FZ album buying frenzy fuelled by finding the ever widening and deepening range of ideas and idioms that he dealt with. Once I caught up, I felt the next album waiting periods pretty keenly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:18 pm 

[quote author=polydigm link=board=albums;num=1131752980;start=30#30 date=12/09/05 at 23:38:57]Once I caught up, I felt the next album waiting periods pretty keenly.[/quote]Not anywhere near as much as we do NOW, hey?<br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:07 am 

sheik yerbouti<br>over-nite sensation<br>zappa picks: larry lalonde<br>zappa picks: john fishman<br>we're only in it for the money<br><br>two different friends of mine loaned me these albums at the same time.  i burned copies of them and went out and got cheap thrills.  i became very much addicted after going on a vacation with the above albums.  then i went crazy and blew a good chunk of my savings on every single thing i could find, first in stores, then online.  within several months i had bought (and obsessed over) damn near every title out there.  my girlfriend wanted to kill me and bring frank back to life so she could kill him too, but i think she's (mostly) over that now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:00 am 

I started getting Zappa LP's when I was ten years old (in 1979). I guess that's what is wrong with me.<br><br>My first ones were: Fillmore East, then Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Hot Rats.<br><br>Also, I have been lurking around here for a while, but this is my first post. Great board.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:43 am 

My first exposure to Zappa music was the summer before his death.  A co-worker let me borrow his two-for-one disc of Overnight Sensation/Apostrophe('), and I taped it.<br><br>I was hooked, and my next four purchases were Absolutely Free, Hot Rats, Fillmore East, and Weasels Ripped My Flesh.  <br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:41 am 

[quote author=ratbatblu link=board=albums;num=1131752980;start=15#24 date=11/20/05 at 10:08:01]<br><br>I've since gone on to buy them all on cd and sold all the vinyl on Ebay...also replaced my EMI import copies with the remastered Ryko versions.[/quote]<br><br>Why did you get rid of your vinyl?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:22 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
[quote author=dkaplowitz link=board=albums;num=1131752980;start=15#22 date=11/17/05 at 05:56:09]and started buying FZ en masse in an attempt to hear everything. <br><br>You could actually get stuff from Barfko back then. That's back in the days when you could buy the Old Masters Vols on vinyl, which I promptly did (but stupidly sold about 5 years later, though I did keep some of the stuff inside). [/quote]<br><br>Are you Quebecois?<br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:56 am 

Joe s Garage , Have I Offended Someone?, Waka Jawaka, Hot Rats, Strictly Genteel, Zappa En La Radio (an argentine edition), Apostrophe, The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life, The Grand Wazoo, Sheik Yerbouti, You Can t Do That On Stage Enymore lll, One Size Fits All, Chunga s Revenge.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:24 pm 

[quote author=Fido3 link=board=albums;num=1131752980;start=30#36 date=12/16/05 at 10:41:12]<br><br>Why did you get rid of your vinyl?[/quote]<br><br>once I got the cd's, i stopped listening to the vinyl altogether...once i saw what some of them were going for online and at trade shows, i decided to off them.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:31 pm 

After listening to Jimi Hendrix and P-Funk a million times, I encountered FZ, then I bought "You cann't do that stuff anymore #4". Then bought Roxy next day, then I got hooked up with FZ.... :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:39 pm 

Only Money<br> Absolutely Free<br> Freak Out<br> Lumpy Gravy<br><br> then as they were released

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:57 pm 

[quote author=ShutUpperRoomy link=board=albums;num=1131752980;start=30#42 date=12/16/05 at 22:13:46]One jacket that wasn't missing was this weird looking all-white thing with MOTHERS written in pencil.  I think I was 6 years old at the time.<br><br>I've never had the heart to tell her what she did to me that day.   ;)[/quote]<br><br>I got spanked for singing Bwana Dik around the house.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:04 am 

Mothermania<br>Ruben & The Jets<br>Uncle Meat<br>Lumpy Gravy<br>Absolutely Free<br>We're Only In It For The Money<br>Freak Out<br> Then I collected them as soon as they were released. ;D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:46 pm 

I live in Melbourne Australia, and i find it so hard to find Mothers of invention albums, i see maybe 1 a month, so as you can tell whenever i see one i buy it.<br><br>'Chunga's revenge' holds a very special place in my heart. whenever i put it on it makes me feel like im 16 again. Chunga's being the first zappa album i bought, intrested me alot!!! <br><br>the next albums i bought were all the eddie and flow records. Fillmore east - 200 motels - just another band from L.A. i love Howard Kaylan and Volman these four albums i am always in the mood for. the best mothers line up by far. Does anyone agree?<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:41 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
[quote author=APruneThatIsTrue link=board=albums;num=1131752980;start=45#45 date=12/21/05 at 00:46:06]I live in Melbourne Australia, and i find it so hard to find Mothers of invention albums, i see maybe 1 a month, so as you can tell whenever i see one i buy it.<br><br>'Chunga's revenge' holds a very special place in my heart. whenever i put it on it makes me feel like im 16 again. Chunga's being the first zappa album i bought, intrested me alot!!! <br><br>the next albums i bought were all the eddie and flow records. Fillmore east - 200 motels - just another band from L.A. i love Howard Kaylan and Volman these four albums i am always in the mood for. the best mothers line up by far. Does anyone agree?<br> [/quote]<br><br><br>I agree with you that Chunga's and the Eddie/Flo era holds a special place in my memories of the Zappa auto-self-acknoledgement. As I told above, Chunga's was one of the early captures...  I am very fond of the Freaks and Motherfuckers (BTB) album...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:01 am 

1st was BBYNHIYL & a week later GRAND WAZOO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:14 am 

one size fits all started the deal for me.