Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:49 pm 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Where did you begin your Zappa collection? <br><br>First that I bought was Joe's Garage, then I got WOIIFTM/Lumpy Gravy (I guess it is the overdub drums one), as a gift from a friend...<br><br>I also remember buying Sheik Yerbouti, Chunga's, Freak Out, Zoot and Hot Rats early in my collection...<br><br>Most of them were by a random combination of money availability, but most of all Zappa albums availability, since I used to live in a social retarded area regarding FZ records...<br><br>I've started around 95...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:55 pm 

I found "Freak Out!" in my sister's room, thought the guy on the cover of the CD looked funny, and listened to it. Didn't care much for it until i put it on my iPod simply to fill up some space.  :o<br><br>Then I got Apostrophe (') at Circuit City, because I didn't think i would see Zappa in most stores, and thought I hit the jackpot :P<br><br>Couple months later, I got Hot Rats, Abs. Free, and Lumpy Gravy at a local music shop  :)<br><br>Scary thing is, I found Freak Out while looking through a box of junk that my sister was giving away later that day  :o :o :o  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:59 pm 

Apostrophe'. Had seen it many times in K-Mart (back in '74), and was entranced by the guy on the cover...kinda hypo'tized. When I heard Don't Eat The Yellow Snow, and found out it was by this fellow, I got it immediately. Have been a fan ever since. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:25 pm 

Absolutely Free was first, but Hot Rats got a lot of airtime in the Isisian household. Next came We're Only In It For The Money, Over-nite Sensation and Weasels Ripped My Flesh. I think I was hooked from the opening drum roll of Plastic People.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:34 pm 

Apostrophe<br>Overnite Sensation<br>Zoot Allures<br>One Size Fits All<br>Live in New York<br><br>I remember getting these 1st on suggestions from my brother

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:38 pm 

Hmm. I'd heard lots of Zappa being played before, but in terms of ownership .. my first was Freak Out!  I actually bought it for my dad as a Christmas gift.  He didn't like it at all, but -- that same Christmas, he got me the new U2 CD.  Which I didn't even fucking open.  :P<br><br>So, Freak Out! is with me now, and the U2 thing is sitting at home. <br><br>Shortly after, I got Roxy, You Are What You Is, Grand Wazoo, Sheik Yerbouti, and Tinseltown Rebellion.   Good ones to start with, I'd say.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:49 pm 

I was getting bored with the mixture of metal and jazz I had listened to for pretty much my entire life, and happened to mention to my dad I was on the look out for something different. Something odd. And he mentioned FZ, said he'd read something on the BBC website about him, something to do with the complexity of FZ's music etc. So I spent 3 months listening to 30 second sound clips of FZ's music on Amazon.com before a dear friend of mine bought me Bongo Fury for my birthday. I soon followed up on it with Apostrophe ('), Have I Offended Someone?, Freak Out!, One Size Fits All, Absolutely Free, then I forget which came first, 200 Motels or Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar (box set)...<br><br>That brings me up to present, but I have an amazon.com shopping cart loaded with 77 odd dollars worth of FZ cd's + The Real FZ Book... to be purchased the day after tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:29 pm 

1[sup]st[/sup] few lp's:<br>hot rats<br>fillmore e<br>wazoo<br>chunga<br>uncle meat<br>apostrophe<br>over-nite sensation<br>waka<br>weasels<br><br><br>1[sup]st[/sup] few cd's: <br>hot rats<br>wazoo<br>waka<br>uncle meat<br>jazz from hell<br>guitar<br>bwthw<br>woiift$/lumpy<br>apostrophe/o-nite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:32 pm 

Overnite.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:03 am 

<br>I found Absolutely Free at a flea market...and gave it a try..<br>next was ZAPPED (the sampler)...then I bought Weasels..<br>then Overnite came out about 6 months later..<br><br>I remember laughing my head off at Montana in the record shop...heh<br><br>Funny thing...my boss in the guitar shop I worked at was a club muso. <br>He had 'Ruben & the Jets'...he would play it sometimes...heh<br>...he thought it was genuine 50's doo-wop...heh...I never told him<br><br><br>

"Wanna buy some pencils?...."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:47 am 

I begun with Hot rats, then proceeded with WOIIFTM / Lumpy ( they were on one cd at the time ), Freak Out!, Absolutely Free...and we just went from there!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:51 am 

I borrowed Freak Out and Man From Utopia from the local library, but to be honest, these didn't impress me all that much. I became a real FZ fan when I heard Hot Rats and Roxy and Elsewhere. <br><br>I like 'Freak Out' a whole lot better nowadays, but MFU will probably never be one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:10 am 

After my sister got Cheep Thrills, I bought Son Of Cheep Thrills (April 2001), bought Have I Offended Someone, got Ship/Witch for St. Nicholas, bought Dweezil's Automatic, RFZB and Apostrophe, later Burnt Weeny Sandwich, a cheepo unofficial colector of the Mothers, WOIIFTM, YCDTOSA 2 + 3...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:11 am 

Apostrophe and Zoot at the same time, as I recall.....and I didn't stop there!  ;D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:49 am 

In an attempt to get me to listen to other things besides punk and metal, back in middle school, my mother's friend gave me a bunch of very excellent CDs for my birthday. Hot Rats was included among these. I thought the cover looked cool, and kind of eerie in a very awesome way. Plus I recognized the name Frank Zappa cause a friend of mine used to talk about the song Cocksucker's Ball when we were in band (I was 1st chair trumpet for a short time... oh yeah). I listened to Hot Rats and immediately thought it was one of the greatest albums I'd ever heard. Everything about it just blew me away. Captain Beefheart's singing on Willie the Pimp was wonderful, and I would just lay in my room listening to the brilliant instrumentation of Hot Rats for hours upon hours.<br><br>A few years went by and I didn't buy any more of his albums because I was young and poor. I just listened to Hot Rats all the time. About the time I got into high school Napster came out, and I used it to download tons of random Zappa songs to get an idea of what his other material sounded like. I made 4 CD-R mixes of my favorite songs from my little computer collection, and listened to these mixes all the time, everywhere I went. As soon as I turned 16 I got a job and was able to afford more CDs. I began building my collection of music and bought as many Frank Zappa albums as I could afford. I've been adding to my collection ever since then.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:22 pm 

My First was Joe's Garage, because I had gotten obsessed with Jesus Christ Superstar recently and was fascinated with Rock Operas.<br><br>It took me a while to get off the first disk...the second one was a bit of a challenging listen for me.<br><br>My next disc was Freak Out! That one fit in straight away, due to my now Zappa-fied mind. I loved the weirdness of 'It Can't Happen Here'. At that time, it was the weirdist thing in my CD collection. (Not anymore, hehehe...)<br><br>Followed with The Yellow Shark. My first Classical CD. Absolutley breathtaking-at the moment, I'd never seen anyone as versatile as Frank, and was amazed that a rock guy who had wrote 'Why Does it Hurt When I pee?' could write things as beautiful as 'Outrage in Valdez' (This was before I even reached the second disk of Joe's Garage, so I hadn't heard Watermelon) or something as breathtaking as 'G-Spot Tornado'.<br><br>I think after that I got Jazz From Hell. All four of those albums are in my top ten.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:13 am 

Hot Rats, immediately followed by Uncle Meat (my favorite Zappa album)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:46 am 

The first Lp i bought was the Joe's Garage boxset, then<br>Apostrophe Lp<br>Guitar Lp<br>Y.C.D.T.O.S.A sampler Lp<br>Best band you've nerer heard, Tape<br>Tinseltown Rebellion Lp<br>Zappa in New York Lp<br>90% of the CD's<br>Absolutely Free Lp<br>Sleep Dirt Lp........<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:55 am 

Oh God..let's see.<br><br>My first self-bought own Zappa record was Joe's Garage, Act I. I was 10 years old at that time, in 1980.<br>Next was Tinseltown, then YAWYI.<br><br>From then on I can't remember exactly. I got a whole collection of some 20 FZ albums from my brother in law, who was a big fan. I was going to "store and inspect them" which I did. So I just had to buy the missing albums, which was Man From Utopia for example.<br><br>My first CD was DHBIM.  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:56 am 

I really don't remember, actually. I was a fan and listening to borrowed copies of 200 Motels, LSO VolI and possibly some mix tapes. But I was kinda' partied out and didn't spend money on anything but drugs/alcohol, I only listened to what I could steal out of cars (Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin, maybe some Black Sabbath). Then at some point I stopped drinking and doing drugs and started buying FZ en masse in an attempt to hear everything. <br><br>I'm sure Sheik and Them or Us were among the first, as was Tinseltown, b/c Tinseltown was always in the cutout bins for like $2.00. Right around the time I started actually buying music FZ Meets the MOP was available everywhere b/c it was a recent release, as was Jazz from Hell. CDs were still pretty new then, so most of what I got was vinyl. <br><br>You could actually get stuff from Barfko back then. That's back in the days when you could buy the Old Masters Vols on vinyl, which I promptly did (but stupidly sold about 5 years later, though I did keep some of the stuff inside).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:59 pm 

First Zappa lp was Studio Tan in 1980 with my birthday money, I was just 12 years old and suddenly the world seemed a brighter place. borrowed my uncle's copy of Roxy And Elsewhere a few weeks later and have never looked back.  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:08 am 

1st cd's; I got 'em when they first got issued<br><br>We're Only In It For The Money/Lumpy Gravy<br>Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation<br>Joe's Garage<br>You Are What You Is (EMI import version)<br>Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch/The Man From Utopia (EMI 2 on 1 version)<br>Uncle Meat<br>Grand Wazoo<br>Hot Rats<br>Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar<br><br>1st Vinyl (cuz the cd's weren't released yet or couldn't find the imports)<br><br>Sheik Yerbouti<br>Roxy And Elsewhere<br>In New York<br>Zoot Allures<br>Tinseltown Rebellion<br>Weasels Ripped My Flesh<br>Chunga's Revenge<br>Burnt Weeny Sandwich<br><br>I've since gone on to buy them all on cd and sold all the vinyl on Ebay...also replaced my EMI import copies with the remastered Ryko versions.