Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:09 am 

My first Zappa purchase was "Zoot Allues" on cassette, which I got two times in a row because I lost the 1st and had to get it again before I tried anything else -  I was so hooked on it. Then my Aunt got me "Weasels Ripped My Flesh," I couldn't believe it. Then I got "Apostophe(')," after that I got "Tinseltown Rebellion." All these were on cassette. I have the  pleasure of having got almost all available Zappa releases (at the time - '78 - '79, then '81) on cassette, then I  got into vinyl, and bought everything in that media format, now I've done it again with cds. I'm on my third gen. of Zappaliciousness - although I never had any Zappa on 8-track, so I guess this is a dumb post afterall. Viva La ZFT.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 pm 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
What about the newbies?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:01 pm 

Christmas of '76 my older brother gave me the Eagles Hotel California as a gift and had brought home Zoot Allures for himself. I loved ZA immediately and basically confiscated it for myself. This was just after Zappa's first appearance on SNL and I also remember seeing him on the Mike Douglass Show which happened on November 9th. Both of those TV appearances made a huge impression on me before I actually got my hands on that first record. I can't remember the exact order of my next purchases but I think it was One Size Fits All with Apostrophe, Over-Nite Sensation, Bongo Fury, and Roxy & Elsewhere following closely behind. I was 15 years old when the journey began.

To take it even earlier than this I remember seeing a rock poster ad in either a Cream or Circus magazine and being intrigued by the name Frank Zappa listed among all the other acts of the day even though I had never heard of him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:40 pm 

Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch

I bought the vinyl when it came out in 1982, just because I liked the minimal cover style.
I was just turned 15 and had no idea of what kind of music was in it... but I immediately liked very much.
My curiosity started and few weeks later I decided to buy the very before album, YAWYI.
Then there were so many albums at my local record store... so I asked a suggestion to the retailer for my third album.
He told me Hot Rats. And I was hooked forever.

I know that Ship Arriving is not considered as basic as other albums, but for me it'll always have a mysterious flavour...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:08 am 

I could probably go through Amazon and piece together the exact list I got all my orders. I know I got Apostrophe first and then Sheik Yerbouti.
After that I was buying a few albums at a time. I got HOT RATS and Overnite together. Then I got R&E and TYS. I just went on from there. I got all 2012 issues as they were brand new at the time. The only Ryko I got was Hot Rats. I got a record player in late 2013 so I got lots of Zappa for that like BWS, UM, TMFU, TTR, TOU, OF and much more.

I suppose I started with rock stuff and just let it get jazzier and weirder. It's been a musical journey for me and I'm still buying them and still listening. Last album I got was Finer Moments.