Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: belgium copy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:26 pm 

AlfieFalck wrote:

Flimsy packaging, that's a fact, but there was no problem at all!

Nothing new then I Prefer the paper sleeves for cd.Uncle meat the disk in them just fell on the floor when opened the case.it has been the worst case so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:06 am 

this cd just might stop playing one day if I dont stop dropping a laser on it. how many times can you play a cd before it just degrades into shreds? hahahaha.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:15 am 

cleon wrote:
AlfieFalck wrote:

Nothing new then I Prefer the paper sleeves for cd.Uncle meat the disk in them just fell on the floor when opened the case.it has been the worst case so far.

I like the packaging for Buffalo. The sleeves for the CDs are a very nice touch, like a real record. And the cardboard is way better than the jewel box, which has got to go.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:17 am 

weegee wrote:
cleon wrote:
AlfieFalck wrote:

I like the packaging for Buffalo. The sleeves for the CDs are a very nice touch, like a real record. And the cardboard is way better than the jewel box, which has got to go.
I've got to agree! The "jewel boxes" (Whoever thought up that obnoxious marketing term deserves a dunk of the head in the toilet.)
Now the cost-cutting has been to make the plastic thinner, more easily broken, the retaining "spindle" crumble after three uses and make double CDs the size of single CDs that crack when you go to remove the inner CD -- but the original double-compartment CD fell apart like the singles.

Now it only remains for the industry to adopt the cardboard standard but make it cheaper so that it become more like glossy print out paper than cardboard.

My only regret about the cardboard sleeve: I was hurriedly moving things around on my desk and a very vulnerable "FZ/OZ" CD sleeve was closed when I knocked over a can of Pepsi and the thing got soaked and my first thought was, "Save the CDs!", which I did but the cardboard had time to stick shut while I went into a frenzied attempt to prevent damage to about 12 other things on the desk.
I was naïve enough at the time to think there was some chance of emailing the ZFT for a sticker to replace all the lost credits on the inside of the sleeve but I was obviously up shit's creek on that count.

--Bat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:19 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
weegee wrote:
cleon wrote:
AlfieFalck wrote:

I've got to agree! The "jewel boxes" (Whoever thought up that obnoxious marketing term deserves a dunk of the head in the toilet.)
Now the cost-cutting has been to make the plastic thinner, more easily broken, the retaining "spindle" crumble after three uses and make double CDs the size of single CDs that crack when you go to remove the inner CD -- but the original double-compartment CD fell apart like the singles.

Now it only remains for the industry to adopt the cardboard standard but make it cheaper so that it become more like glossy print out paper than cardboard.

My only regret about the cardboard sleeve: I was hurriedly moving things around on my desk and a very vulnerable "FZ/OZ" CD sleeve was closed when I knocked over a can of Pepsi and the thing got soaked and my first thought was, "Save the CDs!", which I did but the cardboard had time to stick shut while I went into a frenzied attempt to prevent damage to about 12 other things on the desk.
I was naïve enough at the time to think there was some chance of emailing the ZFT for a sticker to replace all the lost credits on the inside of the sleeve but I was obviously up shit's creek on that count.

--Bat

Well, why in the hell are you drinking Pepsi for?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:44 am 
Zappa Family Trust
Zappa Family Trust

Well, why in the hell are you drinking Pepsi for?[/quote]

No doubt because that is what Captain Beefheart asks Sue for in the script FZ wrote wherein Don Vliet got his name - Captain Beefheart vs The Grunt People.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:53 am 

Kick ass, Batchain! You're Conceptually Continuous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:20 pm 

Hey Gail,
I really like the paper sleeve packaging, is there any chance sleeves could be made for pople with fz/oz. as they exist with buffallo and zappa wazoo. The sleeves really help from having the discs fall all over the place.
By the way. Wazoo kicks ass.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:46 pm 

gz wrote:

No doubt because that is what Captain Beefheart asks Sue for in the script FZ wrote wherein Don Vliet got his name - Captain Beefheart vs The Grunt People.[/quote]

psd wrote:
Product placement? Spielberg, yeah. but Frank? Just ordered the ZPZ. I'm actually more excited about this than a traditional FZ release. I'm going to have some Pygmy for Thanksgiving. Do you drink red or white with that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:19 pm 

psd wrote:
psd wrote:
gz wrote:
No doubt because that is what Captain Beefheart asks Sue for in the script FZ wrote wherein Don Vliet got his name - Captain Beefheart vs The Grunt People.
Product placement? Spielberg, yeah. but Frank? Just ordered the ZPZ. I'm actually more excited about this than a traditional FZ release. I'm going to have some Pygmy for Thanksgiving. Do you drink red or white with that?

Hey psd, I'm guessing the above is how the nested quoting in your last post should display. It's a bit of a pain isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:09 pm 

polydigm wrote:
psd wrote:
psd wrote:
gz wrote:

Hey psd, I'm guessing the above is how the nested quoting in your last post should display. It's a bit of a pain isn't it?

That's the way it should go, yes. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:45 pm 

Actually psd, I had a think about it and my version above is not quite correct. Compare the following which is more like it. Like I said, it's a pain.

psd wrote:
gz wrote:
psd wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:38 am 

Grimpoteuthis wrote:
Hey Gail,
I really like the paper sleeve packaging, is there any chance sleeves could be made for pople with fz/oz. as they exist with buffallo and zappa wazoo. The sleeves really help from having the discs fall all over the place.
By the way. Wazoo kicks ass.
i dont get it Batchain says that Oz is in a cardboard case :roll: and correct on the industry want the cases to fall apart .the quality of plastic in other stuff as gone way better but way worse with the jewel case.btw the disk where harder to get scratched way back or the Lazar's where stronger :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:05 pm 

cleon wrote:
i dont get it Batchain says that Oz is in a cardboard case ...

Cardboard case - yes, protective sleeves for the discs - no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:24 am 

polydigm wrote:
cleon wrote:
i dont get it Batchain says that Oz is in a cardboard case ...

Cardboard case - yes, protective sleeves for the discs - no.
Thanks Polydigm TALK About penny pinching :?
just took a look at the Shut up series(Jap import)
figgering the linger on a slip of paper in there. on 3/2002 there was 21 cds and 6 being released on the 4th month plus 6 on the 5th month.TOTAL 33. :P
maybe more buy now :wink:
the prices y2.548 two odd ones y3.568
and the shut up being the most y.6.300 and that was no more than £20 local
packing was tops cardboard case- paper sleeve and the sleeve kind of see through with bandage linen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:10 am 

Buffalo > Tinseltown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:32 pm 

I think "jewel cases" are too bulky and waste material, but they do protect the cd very well. The cd is (as I'm sure u know) suspended in such a way that only the inside edge of the cd hole has contact with anything. Even if some dust gets on the disc, the playing side never touches the back of the case, and it doesn't get scratched. The paper sleeves w/the paper liners save on material and space, but no matter how careful I am, taking a cd out of a paper/cardboard sleeve repeatedly causes scuffs on the playing surface, something which I am positively mega-anal about. I like my cds to be as clear and unblemished as the Hubbel Telescope's reflecting mirror; that's why for the last few releases (in paper sleeves): "FZ:OZ," "I.D.," "Buffalo," and "Zappa/Wazoo," I take plastic cd sleeves from Comp USA and insert them into the paper sleeves, that way there's no rubbing of the cd surface with paper.
When one of my cds gets even a mild wisp of a scuff, I buy a brand new one and leave it in the shrinkwrap. I guess I have some issues, but my cds are pretty immaculate!
My favorite packaging for cds is the venerable digipak, just a little plastic a little cardboard, and the cd is very well protected from scratches, scuffs and dust, and it can be designed to hold anywhere from 1 to 4 discs. Anyone agree w/me about the digipaks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 am 

I hate digipaks, my least favourite way to package a CD. But I do hate the fact that jewel cases are very brittle and easy to break these days, especially the trays. I like the old-style jewel cases with the solid brown non-brittle trays.

Post subject: digipacks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:00 pm 

Sure digipacks look cool and have that "tactile" comfort however
they don't like getting wet!!!!! And have you ever seen a cd digipack
from years ago? After all the playing time the cd gets the cover
looks dull and ratty looking. They don't hold up too well over the years.

Also, if the jewel case of a disc cracks or loses some teeth from the "hub"
replace the case with a new one!! The booklet inside stays pristine
and the new case is only pennies to replace!

But you have to purchase the whole cd again if your digipack
gets recked. (in a way that's smart marketing from the industry!)

Post subject: Re: digipacks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:37 am 

jeddy wrote:
Sure digipacks look cool and have that "tactile" comfort however
they don't like getting wet!!!!!

Luckily that's not an issue for me.

Post subject: Re: digipacks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:51 am 

jeddy wrote:
And have you ever seen a cd digipack
from years ago? After all the playing time the cd gets the cover
looks dull and ratty looking. They don't hold up too well over the years.

Despite your slight miscommunication, I think I know what you're saying, and I take pretty good care of my digipaks, they are usually made with very tough cardboard that is lacquered, or something to make them hold up to repeated use, and they hold up real well, they're at least more wear-resistant than vinyl record covers.
And most digipaks are not made with the standard ring of teeth to hold the cd in place but use a one piece system that is basically break proof.
I've noticed that a lot of digipaks pay a lot more attention to the artwork on the cover and on the inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:34 am 

I still don't have this album, I did manage to persuade my mother to break out her credit card for a copy of Wazoo though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:46 am 

Well it looks like its now time to Un-Sticky this thread in order to make room for a New Sticky thread.

N'est-ce-pas Gail ?? nudge, :wink: nudge, :wink:

Post subject: What is the point?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:32 am 

April fools day. Most of us in this forum are too old to be fooled unless of course if you get a letter in the mail that has IRS in the upper left hand corner of the envelope.

I'm not married. I don't have any children. Wish I had a cat, I have a kitty but she doesn't purr. I'm very wealthy and am jetting out to the Bahamas tonight. I can't remember what sex feels like. The Man With Long Black Coat is my lover.

APRIL FOOL'S................FOOLS

Don't forget lumps in your gravy is a bad thing. But Lumpy Gravy In You is a Good Thing :wink:

Post subject: i listened to this again
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:17 am 

I had leant it to a friend, who has no money and whose car got broken into and all CDs stolen. So I bought it again (along with Zappa Wazoo, also stolen).

It is better than I remember it, one of the truly best recorded documents, especially, on Disc 1 from Pick Me Im Clean, till the end, and on Side 2 the long Torture and the "Real World" monologue.

Will be rotating this a lot over the next few days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next