Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:45 pm 

There's this at 1980 10 25 a B- AUD recording only 31 min long
http://home.swipnet.se/fzshows/80b.html
that somebody else already mentioned
the one that was at zappateers got pulled when the release was announced

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:35 pm 

punknaynowned wrote:
There's this at 1980 10 25 a B- AUD recording only 31 min long
http://home.swipnet.se/fzshows/80b.html
that somebody else already mentioned
the one that was at zappateers got pulled when the release was announced

Yeah, I know. Jon Naurin's site is the first place I checked. As far as I know, the Zappateers version was pretty much what JN had listed on his site, although I could be wrong. I'm wondering if there's anything that has the entire setlist. But, if not, oh well; doesn't matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:06 pm 

To set things a little bit in perspective (now that Trendy and jaypfunk are sleeping). Let's hear the man himself.

Quoted from "Zappa!", Guitar Player Presents, 1992, p.63 (from 'The Mother of all Interviews' part) :

Quote:
Matt Groening: One of the things I like about the albums that are just a single concert, it's like, oh, that's a document of what you experienced that night. I really liked that. Although maybe you can edit the best songs, it's been a pleasure for me to hear entire shows.

Frank Zappa: That to me is excruciating, because when I've listened to those, it's hard for me to imagine one show that had so many good things in it that you'd want to release the whole show. There are always mistakes. With live stuff, you want to optimize the sound. You also want to optimize the solos. You've done a tour for four months, and you know that on a certain night, a certain song is played really, really well. It's a shame not to take that version of it and edit it in into the thing. I just think since it's all live, what's the difference whether it came from the same building or not?

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:47 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
If I wanna go to sleep I'll take 2 Tylenol PM's.

If I wanna keep from killing myself, I'll avoid mono-rhythmic-boring-ass beats from P-Funk.

Post subject: whole show?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:07 am 

I am happy Buffalo is a complete show. Wouldn't it be easy to check on that Zappabase database (I got mine from Zappateers, if memory serves).

'73 tour stuff would make me happy. I saw FZ in the spring of that year at Jadwyn Gym on the Princeton University campus with Jean-Luc Ponty and they were working out Montana and it was a truly great sjhow with lots of horns (Sal Marquez was there, I can't remember who the drummer was...).

Post subject: Re: whole show?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:15 am 

tweezers wrote:
I am happy Buffalo is a complete show. Wouldn't it be easy to check on that Zappabase database (I got mine from Zappateers, if memory serves).

'73 tour stuff would make me happy. I saw FZ in the spring of that year at Jadwyn Gym on the Princeton University campus with Jean-Luc Ponty and they were working out Montana and it was a truly great sjhow with lots of horns (Sal Marquez was there, I can't remember who the drummer was...).

That would be the amazingly underrated Mr Ralph Humphrey, maybe Zappa's funkiest drummer ever...

Post subject: thanks Mr. Genes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:17 am 

That was a great band - and very inventive - my first FZ show

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:43 am 

A release of a full Ponty era FZ concert would definitely rule! They played some of the coolest instrumental Zappa music in concert, something you would never guess from a certain studio album at all. The medley of Uncle Meat numbers like "Exercise 4", "Dog Breath" followed by its Variations cousin along with the main title theme of "Uncle Meat" was totally unique, and then of course riveting versions of "RDNZL" and "Farther Oblivion" suite et al! Please, hear our pleas, ZFT! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 am 

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

This is what I've been hoping for. A full show!

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

PS. would someone please ban Trendmonkey now.
Please?
He absolutely ruined this thread.

Post subject: Ponty
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:11 am 

You bet, the Uncle Meat stuff was awesome on that tour. There were themes being worked out there that would show up on LPs over the next two years. I believe that 2007 will be another good ZFT release year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:33 am 

tweezers wrote:
I believe that 2007 will be another good ZFT release year.

I think (and hope) you're right - it definitely started great!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

More BUFFALO-kinda-stuff!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:19 am 

this is GREAT in an Unmitigated, Audacious Way!!

Kudos to whoever pushed for this decision to be made....kudos to the whole production team. FINALLY the floodgates have been cracked open.

Many of us have called before for a Dick's Pick's model...the Pearl Jam/Who/Peter Gabriel/Bowie etc model of releasing FULL SHOWS has been brought up here at length..one can only hope that our suggestions have all been collectively part of this decision....

Whatever the reasons - as with EVERY release -- let's support it, promote it, tell new people about it... buy it, crank it and ask and get ready for MORE..full quality legal releases of Zappa shows.... YES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:36 am 

Andre_C wrote:
this is GREAT in an Unmitigated, Audacious Way!!

Kudos to whoever pushed for this decision to be made....kudos to the whole production team. FINALLY the floodgates have been cracked open.

Many of us have called before for a Dick's Pick's model...the Pearl Jam/Who/Peter Gabriel/Bowie etc model of releasing FULL SHOWS has been brought up here at length..one can only hope that our suggestions have all been collectively part of this decision....

Whatever the reasons - as with EVERY release -- let's support it, promote it, tell new people about it... buy it, crank it and ask and get ready for MORE..full quality legal releases of Zappa shows.... YES

Hey Andre, good to see you back.
I agree with all of the above.

PS. Bring P/O back to the North East in '07 :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:16 am 
Banned

Finally they release a complete show! Looks like the ZFT is actually listening to us! You are making so many fans happy! Plus, this release is extra special to my heart as I live less than an hour from Buffalo. Buffalo is one of the strongest Zappa loving communities in the world! Plus, ZPZ annouces the first tourdate of the summer:10,000 Lakes Fest in Minnesota! Another instance where they listened to their fans. I sent Gail an e-mail last year urging her to get ZPZ on the festival circuit, CHEERS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:19 am 

A slight delay. I ordered mine next day air. Just got the email. They will not get these until 4/04. Shipments begin on 4/05.

The ad was funny. In one spot it talked about shipping at the end of the week and in another a promise for 4/03.

Oh well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:38 am 

We will all have it by early next week. It would be interesting to know how many of these things get ordered in the first week or even first month. That would speak to the economics here. Are there 100,000 FZ fans who buy EVERYTHING as soon as its released - doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:44 am 

J.C.GreasyVII wrote:
Finally they release a complete show! Looks like the ZFT is actually listening to us! You are making so many fans happy! Plus, this release is extra special to my heart as I live less than an hour from Buffalo. Buffalo is one of the strongest Zappa loving communities in the world! Plus, ZPZ annouces the first tourdate of the summer:10,000 Lakes Fest in Minnesota! Another instance where they listened to their fans. I sent Gail an e-mail last year urging her to get ZPZ on the festival circuit, CHEERS!

yeah JCG, doing the festival circuit will potentially get them exposed to a another set of people, but festival shows for individual acts are inevitably considerably shorter. If they get to play 2 hours . . . that's a LONG time for an act at a festival. If they get a 90 minute slot, even headlining at the end of a night, that's real good. We'll see though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:54 am 

tweezers wrote:
We will all have it by early next week. It would be interesting to know how many of these things get ordered in the first week or even first month. That would speak to the economics here. Are there 100,000 FZ fans who buy EVERYTHING as soon as its released - doubt it.

I remember Frank saying (in the 80's) he had a pretty much guaranteed initial sales figure of 20,000 upon release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:00 am 

tweezers wrote:

100,000 FZ Fans who buy everything as soon as it is released is doubtfull for any of the Official 80 let alone a cottage industry that has been attempting to educate the younger crowd about FZ. Maybe a few FZ tittles sold 100,000 after several weeks but that was a long, long time ago. there are some forum members that are numbers savy, maybe they will chime in.

As far as the ZFT releases during the holdback period and prior where it seemd it was nearly impossible for RykoCompilations to Co-Exist with the ZFT Cottage Industry because Ryko refused to allow the ZFT to tour behind any product or release competing product was a time that Gail has called "The Land Of Diminishing Returns"

Well since that time is over (I'm So Happy I Could Cry) the ZFT have spent millions and millions of Dollars upgrading UMRK. Getting ZPZ out on the road does help support releases, major changes to their website, improved turkey customer service for Barfko Swill through Music Today, various Distribution Deals for CDs, DVDs and DVD-A, inviting top notch engineers to work with them on some new projects...

While the Cottage Industry is Moving The Project/Object . . Forward, the reference of 100,000 on the day of is only a pipe dream for the moment.

How many initial sales even when ther were pre-orders wher names documented the amount of pre-order sales, well how many are in FZ:OZ or MOFO?

When I walk down the street and I see More FZ imperials than Rolling Stones hats and T-Shirts then i will think in terms of 100,000. I encourage evey fan to by an FX:imperial hat. They are amde really well and last a long time. you can wear it most of the year. Let every human know the Zappa imperial. Immagien if frank had wanted to start that Zappa Imperial as a logo in the eraly 60s log before the Glimmer twins used the tounge.

I don't know the actual numbers but I guess 10,000 immediate and 50,000 additional when ZPZ is on tour may be nice numbers to ponder. Not that they are correct.

100,000 after several years woudl be mu guess.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:19 am, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:01 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
I'm waiting for the idiots to start complaining about the price again.

And soon these ones: "I haven't recieved my copy yet! ZFT can't handle business. Oh, jeez Frank would be embarrassed. etc...." :lol:

(But somehow I have this fear that soon a mail drops into my inbox saying something like "We regret to inform you that due to lack of green ink the covers of Buffalo will not be ready until the pumpkins are. Thank you for your patience. Music is the Best (c)" .)

Last edited by HJ on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:03 am 

Bobby wrote:
A slight delay. I ordered mine next day air. Just got the email. They will not get these until 4/04. Shipments begin on 4/05.

The ad was funny. In one spot it talked about shipping at the end of the week and in another a promise for 4/03.

Oh well...

Stupid question deleted!

Je suis désolé pour les roles que j'ai joué dans toutes ces videos, ce n'est pas tres valorisant pour l'humanité mais si cela peut avoir fait progresser la science, alors il y aura eu un coté positif.

Last edited by Zut_boF on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: whole show?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:10 am 

tweezers wrote:

on zappa database it say the same as punknaynowned link.
25-Oct 1980, Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, NY
31 min, Aud, B-
Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, I'm So Cute, Andy, Joe's Garage, Dancin' Fool, Disco Meltdown
do anybody know if it is a full show :?
and only mail order
the price is good i think :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:20 am 

Zut_boF wrote:

April 4? or May 4 ?

I am confused with the english dating system.

Is it day/month/year
month/day/year
year/month/day
day/year/month
etc...??????

month day year in the states typically: that's how we were taught to date our checks . . .
unless yer in the military and they like the string of numbers: 1319 030407, for current EST time and date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:28 am 

I am really looking forward to this whole set.
But particularly these songs:

Pick Me, I’m Clean 10:15
City Of Tiny Lites 9:58
Easy Meat 9:26
The Torture Never Stops 23:36
Andy 8:14
The “Real World” Thematic Extrapolations 8:53
Stick It Out 5:36

PMIC was usually smokin' during the fall tour
And that Torture will no doubt be kick-ass

I absolutely can't wait. :mrgreen:

I am assuming that the “Real World” Thematic Extrapolations is an improv of some kind.
Anyone (jimmy d, JayP) have any idea what this is?
Knowing the play-on-theme titles on the Guitar albums I'm wondering if this is "I'm The Slime" with extensive solo or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:33 am 

punknaynowned wrote:

month day year in the states typically: that's how we were taught to date our checks . . .
unless yer in the military and they like the string of numbers: 1319 030407, for current EST time and date.

Thanks

Je suis désolé pour les roles que j'ai joué dans toutes ces videos, ce n'est pas tres valorisant pour l'humanité mais si cela peut avoir fait progresser la science, alors il y aura eu un coté positif.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37  Next