Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:53 am 

Many thanks to ZFT and Joe Travers for making this possible.

The 5 CD set and the vinyl set for me I think.

However there is mention of 'digital.'

Are there any details of what's available for those also wanting the digital files? I read the 24bit 96KHz hi-def sampling there and I'm hoping fans might be able to purchase these, either via a handy USB stick or as downloadable files????

I'm so hoping it's not just a bunch of MP3 files that will be downloads only.

For the record I'm still hoping for the hi-def downloads for the Roxy box audio collection.

Again thanks for making this possible all involved.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:15 pm 

^ If you're buying the 5 disc set why not make your own digital files?

Spaceresearcher wrote:

FZ made it possible. ZFT is charging top dollar for these 42+ year old recordings. Most of the work was done in 1976.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:15 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

FZ made it possible. ZFT is charging top dollar for these 42+ year old recordings. Most of the work was done in 1976.

while my credit-card gently weeeeeps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:52 am 

^^In the immortal words of Lonesome Dave Peverett, “Live now, pay later”. 8) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:03 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

You are absolutely wrong. I spent a year between transferring all of the master tapes, assembling the 3 plus hours of unreleased performances, supervised the remixes from scratch along with all of the editing. Sorry there buddy. Thanks for the positive attitude.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:47 am 

vaultmeister wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

You are absolutely wrong. I spent a year between transferring all of the master tapes, assembling the 3 plus hours of unreleased performances, supervised the remixes from scratch along with all of the editing. Sorry there buddy. Thanks for the positive attitude.

8)

good to see you in your natural habitat at the Power Station with Joe Satriani last December Mr. Travers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:15 pm 

vaultmeister wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Spaceresearcher wrote:

I'm absolutely wrong? You're claiming that you worked harder than FZ on this?

FZ composed the songs, put together the band, performed the shows and had them recorded. Next you'll be asking me to get excited about a hologram.

Don't worry, there are people here who will buy anything for any price. Mr Nice Guy will buy recordings of FZ farting if you mix it to stereo. He'll buy the complete Gomer Pyle collection as well because he is an art lover.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:52 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

FZ composed the songs, put together the band, performed the shows and had them recorded. Next you'll be asking me to get excited about a hologram.

Don't worry, there are people here who will buy anything for any price. Mr Nice Guy will buy recordings of FZ farting if you mix it to stereo. He'll buy the complete Gomer Pyle collection as well because he is an art lover.

So they should um....not release anything and do no tours? That seems to be what you're saying. And he didn't say that he worked harder than FZ. You inferred that there was hardly any work done.

I agree with you on the hologram though. It's a concert with a computer image click track. IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:49 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

So they should um....not release anything and do no tours? That seems to be what you're saying. And he didn't say that he worked harder than FZ. You inferred that there was hardly any work done.

I agree with you on the hologram though. It's a concert with a computer image click track. IMO.

Frank was all for this technology... :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:26 pm 

^Show me where FZ said he was all for a hologram of himself going out on tour after he was dead.

calvin2hikers wrote:

I did not say that there was hardly any work done or imply that they should not release anything. Here is my initial post...
downer mydnyte wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Where did I imply any of those things you are saying I implied?

My point to Spaceresearcher is that I'm not going to thank ZFT for charging $100.00 for 5 discs of 42 year old recordings as if ZFT is doing me a favor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

downer mydnyte wrote:
^Show me where FZ said he was all for a hologram of himself going out on tour after he was dead.

calvin2hikers wrote:

I did not say that there was hardly any work done or imply that they should not release anything. Here is my initial post...
downer mydnyte wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

My point to Spaceresearcher is that I'm not going to thank ZFT for charging $100.00 for 5 discs of 42 year old recordings as if ZFT is doing me a favor.

So lucky we have you, O Great Knowing One, to mansplain the finer details of FZ's releases to the Vaultmeister, and tell Ahmet what his own father might have thought about a topic, when Ahmet lived under the same roof as him for 20 years.

Maybe take the attitude down a peg. Your nose will always be pressed against the other side of the glass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:12 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

calvin2hikers wrote:

downer mydnyte wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:

downer mydnyte: "You're claiming that you worked harder than FZ on this?"

You implied a majority of the work was done in 1976, and made it seemed to me you were saying that the ZFT really didn't need to do anything to get it out. That's the specific point I was addressing.

I was just asking questions. I can't recall anything you've posted being favorable towards any of the tours or the music being released. I thought it might be your opinion that they should just let it be.

Frank talked about holographic possibilities in The Real Frank Zappa Book, but I don't think he mentioned in the book about actually replacing himself in a tour with a holographic image. But that's as far as my knowledge goes on the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:22 pm 

^ Well.. I do hope we understand each other.

As for the hologram technology... Sure, it's kind of cool. I agree with FZ. I have nothing against holograms. I certainly don't want to be one after I'm dead. Endorsing products.

As for the hologram tour band...
I could have sworn that FZ fired Robert Martin.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:31 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:30 pm 

Just order the box, Plook!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 pm 

Oh god, the whingeing of the greatest fans. Buy it or don't. Steal files or don't. Just quit whingeing. Spoilers: Zappa died. Anything not rotting in a vault or an archive in a library/record company/legal firm's basement being fought over will cost money to make releasable. If you're not familiar with the processes required to turn 40 year-old mastertapes into modern, consumable music, read the interviews, watch the video clips. Just quit whingeing.

Thank you to everyone doing the hard work required to keep the music alive and to broaden our knowledge of the body of work Zappa produced.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:19 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
...Frank talked about holographic possibilities in The Real Frank Zappa Book, but I don't think he mentioned in the book about actually replacing himself in a tour with a holographic image...

fz, in chapter 18 of trfzb wrote:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i.c.a. goes public ¿

here are some facts regarding i.c.a. (inter-continental absurdities), and the possibility of taking it public

i have an idea for a new device, potentially worth several billion dollars (patent search enclosed); by using a modified version of the computer logic currently employed in the generation of 3-d visuals for flight training simulators, in conjunction with an optical delivery system (yet to be designed), this device would make it possible to:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [1]
generate free-standing 3-d images, in any size (on your coffee table at home, or on a larger scale for theatrical use), 'folded out' from any two-dimensional source by predicting and synthesizing the missing third dimension

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[2]
create a service company which 'unfolds' existing 'flat' movies and tv shows so that they might be rereleased, viewable as free-standing 3-d objects

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [3]
create a cable network which would broadcast material in this medium

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [4]
sell hardware on a large scale to home and industrial consumers

. . . . . . . . . . . Image

this is not a 'holographic' process, and, as far as we have been able to determine, does not infringe on any existing patent

the device is in 3 sections; the first one converts the picture data to a digital signal which can then be worked on by the math in section two (where the depth information is synthesized), finally arriving at section three which projects it to any desired size

i have two partners in this venture: john law, former vp, nato weapons division, general electric corp (his card and copies of correspondence enclosed), and jerry roth (card not available at this mailing) ... john informs me that 70% of the materials (hardware and software) to do this project is available now, off-the-shelf, from within the aero-space industry; none of it is secret, and, through his industrial contacts, can be obtained without much trouble; it will also be his responsibility to locate r&d talent [jerry's field of expertise is software and marketing] by john's estimate, plans for a working prototype could be viewed within two years, at a development cost of 1.5 million dollars; there is no current estimate as to the cost of building the prototype

the first person contacted for funding was robert armao (an attorney/pr man/investment adviser to nelson bunker hunt, the pahlevi family, etc.), who told me that the project was 'very speculative', and, therefore, i must be willing to give up a 75% interest, plus pay his fee, plus pay his expenses; in the most respectful way possible i informed him that these terms were located somewhere between science fiction and usury

the next day i met with tom phillips and archie mcgill at rothschild venture capital; they wanted a 'business plan' and other assurances (almost to the point of showing them a working model) before getting involved, and then stated that their limit would be no more than 2 million (which would create big problems when the device was ready to manufacture)

by coincidence, i had to make another stop at armao's office to meet a friend after the rothschild meeting (the offices are across the street from each other in rockefeller center); when i arrived, armao asked me to come into his office, introduced me to a guy from some 'investment fund' and stated that he (armao) would no longer require a fee or expenses, and that i would only have to give away 40% for this first 1.5 million ... i told him i would think about it; since that time he has tried to contact me in los angeles, but i was in new york

realistically, the deal is worth giving up no more than 25% (including the brokerage), which would then leave something further to bargain with when it's time to raise the heavy capital for manufacturing

this brings us to the matter of 'going public' (which might or might not be the right move at this time, but is a possibility being given serious consideration); if we agree that the earning potential of the
d.s.s. (depth-synthesis system) is tremendous -- although highly speculative by some standards -- and that any film or stage venture is equally speculative (but not as potentially lucrative), we might consider:

[1] the plight of those unfortunate persons who, especially at the end of the year, need to 'dispose of money'; surely these suffering wretches can be approached with a creative suggestion or two

[2] we should also consider that the research facility which must be stocked and staffed to build the d.s.s. has a continuing value and potential for the construction of other inventions once the primary objective is achieved

i mentioned a figure of $100 million to do all of this; that might be high ... but, if it can be raised, why not ¿ other companies have raised more to do less

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:34 am 

Man! It seems to me some people here want it all for free. While trying to aggravate those who feed their collections too! This download generation has to come to realize music does not come out "for free". It does not appear without cost to the artist or makers of any product.....physical or not. If you DO NOT PAY in any way,......that is THE END of the artist's or "music provider's" want to make these items you are supposed to buy (to support the making of more). It is very simple. ALSO.....I don't know if it's the same situation for larger "bands" or "music providers"(like the Zappa Family) , but downloads provide less profit for the artist compared to actual physical music items(LPs, and CDs). I know,because I sell music of my own....and a one song download costs the buyer 99cents,....and I get ONE CENT of that. The rest goes to distribution companies....and then they also charge $2 for any payments made to me. So....if I sell 200 song downloads....I don't get anything for that! Yes, it's that tilted towards the companies getting profit and not that artist. It effectively kills small bands off who self release music....unless you sell by the thousands of downloads.

So...you LOVE Frank Zappa....buy Frank Zappa family releases. You HATE what is going on here....expect to get NO MORE Frank Zappa music! It's that simple. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:04 am 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:22 am 

I don't want it for free. I think the price for this set seems fair enough.

The thing I don't like is not being able to afford it. But that's my bad. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:59 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

The thing I don’t like about it is I buy everything (CDs, DVDs, books, swag, etc.) and then a wildfire comes along and destroys everything. Insurance is helpful in keeping a roof over my head and providing some of the basics but is insufficient to replace something as trivial as a music collection especially when so much of the stuff is out of print and only still available at inflated prices if at all. OK, I’m done with my ranting for the day. It’s part of my therapy. :mrgreen:

Oh, and count me in on the In New York Box/manhole cover. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:21 pm 

KUIII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

The thing I don’t like about it is I buy everything (CDs, DVDs, books, swag, etc.) and then a wildfire comes along and destroys everything. Insurance is helpful in keeping a roof over my head and providing some of the basics but is insufficient to replace something as trivial as a music collection especially when so much of the stuff is out of print and only still available at inflated prices if at all. OK, I’m done with my ranting for the day. It’s part of my therapy. :mrgreen:

Oh, and count me in on the In New York Box/manhole cover. 8)

Good thing your on the second floor...a flood may be your next natural disaster... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:22 pm 

I don't think the price is coming down in the next 3 weeks, so I pre-ordered the 5-CD box from Bull Moose. $76.97 & shipping's covered. Good call for those who pre-ordered @ Amazon when the price was $65. Whatever, no worried about $12. Fuck Amazon anyway. Support indie shops.

And yeah, those who aren't planning on buying the CDs or vinyl at all, but can't wait to stream it, you're a lowlife. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:28 am 

Thank you so much to those who have worked hard to make this reissue possible. The only names I know to thank are AZ and Joe 'The VaultMiester.' I'm sure there are others deserving of thanks. You and your team are so appreciated.
Keep up the good work. I can't wait to hear this music and see what your team works on next.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:51 am 

The Roxy box was glorious, I expect this one to be the same. Thanks to all involved for writing, rehearsing, playing, recording, mixing, editing, remixing, researching, capturing, producing, designing, replicating, releasing, selling...