Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:28 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I recently found a clean used LP of Spring Session M for like $3. I was pleasantly surprised by it. The drums sound real as do the other instruments, and they're well crafted pop songs. I don't want to hear what followed the first album knowing the drum sound turned to total cheese and were programmed. I never paid any attention to MP back in the day, might have seen a video or two on MTV in the early '80s. Obviously didn't know the Zappa connection.

This reinforces my belief that without the "Zappa connection" nobody here would care about Missing Persons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:08 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I recently found a clean used LP of Spring Session M for like $3. I was pleasantly surprised by it. The drums sound real as do the other instruments, and they're well crafted pop songs. I don't want to hear what followed the first album knowing the drum sound turned to total cheese and were programmed. I never paid any attention to MP back in the day, might have seen a video or two on MTV in the early '80s. Obviously didn't know the Zappa connection.

This reinforces my belief that without the "Zappa connection" nobody here would care about Missing Persons.

Not sure what you mean exactly. I'm saying the album sonically sounds good for something recorded in 1982, where by 1984 the production on every major pop/rock album sounded like shit, due to overprocessed/gated drums. I grabbed it mainly because of who's on it, and general curiosity. What's wrong with that? Musically they're not much different than Duran Duran. I liked some DD songs back in the day when I was 9 yrs old, and can tolerate if I hear them on the radio today. I would never buy a Duran Duran LP for nostalgic reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:36 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Not sure what you mean exactly.

I quoted you to make my point. The remark was not aimed at you personally. It just triggered my thought.

I'm pretty sure Missing Persons were trying to make a popular record, as opposed to making a great record. It sounds extremely compromised to me. Manufactured. Conforming to the wretched 80s radio standards. Going for the big record deal. Terry can't redeem half assed material. For me, the best thing he ever did was Muffin Man on Bongo Fury. A great drummer needs a great song. He's great on that because the song is great and he's got people like Duke and Zappa pushing him. [or maybe one of the live Black Napkins]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:31 pm 

[code][/code]
downer mydnyte wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:

I liked the Missing Persons ep a lot and Spring Session M quite a bit. I liked a lot of New Wave bands (The Cars, The Divinyls, The Vapors, Blondie, The Motels, Gary Myrick and the Figures, Bram Tchaikovsky, Devo, Boomtown Rats, Split Enz, etc.). The musicianship was exploited to great effect on those first two records and Mental Hopscotch rocked! They got lazy with technology the last two albums but they weren't terrible. Of course I liked and continue to like the Zappa connection. I like Missing Persons a lot more than Little Feat as far as Zappa connections go.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:29 am 

speaking of found persons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1VLeSUP2ls

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:11 pm 

KUIII wrote:
[code][/code]
downer mydnyte wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:

I liked the Missing Persons ep a lot and Spring Session M quite a bit. I liked a lot of New Wave bands (The Cars, The Divinyls, The Vapors, Blondie, The Motels, Gary Myrick and the Figures, Bram Tchaikovsky, Devo, Boomtown Rats, Split Enz, etc.). The musicianship was exploited to great effect on those first two records and Mental Hopscotch rocked! They got lazy with technology the last two albums but they weren't terrible. Of course I liked and continue to like the Zappa connection. I like Missing Persons a lot more than Little Feat as far as Zappa connections go.

The Cars had a songwriter.

Boomtown Rats is the worst shit in the history of recorded music.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:

i just checked the data and actually...
it's a 3 way tie between scritti politti, bang tango, and the oak ridge boys.

sorry, please play again!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:54 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

i just checked the data and actually...
it's a 3 way tie between scritti politti, bang tango, and the oak ridge boys.

sorry, please play again!

Just out of curiosity...where does your version of the data place the boomtown rats?

I think something strange is going on here.

...where does yer data place We Are The World?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:44 am 

For all those missing persons, I quote the great Buckaroo Banzai: "No Matter Where You Go..... There You are!!!!"