Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Halloween 81 Box
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:16 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Yeah, had the box for a week now. Fantastic :) . You people bitching about the box/packaging are ridiculous. If you don't want any of that, then download the freaking thing. I hold the same opinion on the '73 set. I think the boxes look great now as a pair together on a shelf.

The whole thing comes down to about $17 a disc which is not bad. I don't care that Strictly Genteel was omitted off of the last show. Can live without it. Keep these great releases coming Ahmet/Joe. Hope to see a surprise release before the end of the year.

Your missing the valid points other fans have raised.
1. It's advertised as 'complete concerts' which is a lie. Not cool to lie to your audience ever.
2. It forces the hard core fans to purchase the box set and the highlights CD to actually get the full concerts and no one surely even yourself wants to see this release idea become a normal practice.
3. Some of us desire the best possible quality of these recordings as there not releasing the full 24bit 96KHz version of these recordings (which is what they will brag they sampled the actual master tapes at) the best we can get atm is the CD version(which for the record is a down sampled 16bit 44.1KHz version of that master sampled rate.) The difference between CD and mp3's is massive but I'm ever so pleased to read some people are mentioning FLAC files, I might actually look into those. (As to if it's simply a FLAC of the CD's well that would be interesting to know.)
4. As I'm a massive fan I sure as the sky is blue want these recordings but I'll be waiting until there at a price point that's fair since I'll need both releases to obtain the complete concert and a performance of Strictly Genteel is important to me.(wonderful piece of music.) As for trying to justify the gimmicky packaging, wouldn't you have preferred another couple of CD's filled with amazing Frank Zappa music to a handful of stuff your not likely to even use??? As Frank said 'Music is the best.' Have to agree, wholeheartedly.
5. At this price point I would have expected to see a Blu Ray disc included which would give me access to listen to the concerts in the full sample rate from the master tapes which is possible via Blu Ray and most other artists are taking to the medium due to this great reason. (King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Tangerine Dream just to name a couple.)

Could I go on? Yes I could but there the main points which I strongly feel should be addressed are mentioned above. I'm glad your happy getting almost a complete concert and think the packaging is fun etc, but a lot of hard core fans are seriously cheesed about this and I've seen a couple even on here going more for just the digital medium version as opposed to being ripped with the physical release which is sad because there prepared to settle for slightly lower quality rather than get ripped off and feel strongly about it enough to make this choice.

The fans are what make any of these releases possible as ultimately there the ones who will actually pay the money for it. There the ones that should be listened to as most Zappa fans have been fans for a long time, know and love there Zappa and have also seen and been subjected to greedy record company business practices for years. It doesn't need to be this way. The Roxy Box proves it and was hailed as one of the greatest releases ever due to it's excellent value. In sharp contrast this release has too many fans going: "WHY???????????????"

I'm glad these recordings have surfaced as well, just not at all happy with the marketing and decisions that have gone into the release to the fans who at the end of the day are the reason a release is worthwhile releasing. (Eg there's money to be made if you don't tick off your customers.) Makes me think about the stories I've read where Frank would play for an entire extra hour if he was going to be charged for it, to make it worthwhile and give the fans a bonus. (Just one of his many great points in that he really cared about his fans and publicly declared it as well.) Long live the great memory of Frank Zappa. Frank's music cuts beyond greed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:34 am 

Oh yeah and as for $17 a disc, lucky you. For those of us that live across the pond, your talking more like $28 a disc versus what was around $10 a disc with the Roxy Box, so poor value indeed for those after that most important of commodities when it comes to a music release and that would be the most music for there buck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:05 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Yeah, had the box for a week now. Fantastic :) . You people bitching about the box/packaging are ridiculous. If you don't want any of that, then download the freaking thing. I hold the same opinion on the '73 set. I think the boxes look great now as a pair together on a shelf.

The whole thing comes down to about $17 a disc which is not bad. I don't care that Strictly Genteel was omitted off of the last show. Can live without it. Keep these great releases coming Ahmet/Joe. Hope to see a surprise release before the end of the year.

1. It's advertised as 'complete concerts' which is a lie. Not cool to lie to your audience ever.
2. It forces the hard core fans to purchase the box set and the highlights CD to actually get the full concerts and no one surely even yourself wants to see this release idea become a normal practice.
3. Some of us desire the best possible quality of these recordings as there not releasing the full 24bit 96KHz version of these recordings (which is what they will brag they sampled the actual master tapes at) the best we can get atm is the CD version(which for the record is a down sampled 16bit 44.1KHz version of that master sampled rate.) The difference between CD and mp3's is massive but I'm ever so pleased to read some people are mentioning FLAC files, I might actually look into those. (As to if it's simply a FLAC of the CD's well that would be interesting to know.)
4. As I'm a massive fan I sure as the sky is blue want these recordings but I'll be waiting until there at a price point that's fair since I'll need both releases to obtain the complete concert and a performance of Strictly Genteel is important to me.(wonderful piece of music.) As for trying to justify the gimmicky packaging, wouldn't you have preferred another couple of CD's filled with amazing Frank Zappa music to a handful of stuff your not likely to even use??? As Frank said 'Music is the best.' Have to agree, wholeheartedly.
5. At this price point I would have expected to see a Blu Ray disc included which would give me access to listen to the concerts in the full sample rate from the master tapes which is possible via Blu Ray and most other artists are taking to the medium due to this great reason. (King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Tangerine Dream just to name a couple.)

Could I go on? Yes I could but there the main points which I strongly feel should be addressed are mentioned above. I'm glad your happy getting almost a complete concert and think the packaging is fun etc, but a lot of hard core fans are seriously cheesed about this and I've seen a couple even on here going more for just the digital medium version as opposed to being ripped with the physical release which is sad because there prepared to settle for slightly lower quality rather than get ripped off and feel strongly about it enough to make this choice.

The fans are what make any of these releases possible as ultimately there the ones who will actually pay the money for it. There the ones that should be listened to as most Zappa fans have been fans for a long time, know and love there Zappa and have also seen and been subjected to greedy record company business practices for years. It doesn't need to be this way. The Roxy Box proves it and was hailed as one of the greatest releases ever due to it's excellent value. In sharp contrast this release has too many fans going: "WHY???????????????"

I'm glad these recordings have surfaced as well, just not at all happy with the marketing and decisions that have gone into the release to the fans who at the end of the day are the reason a release is worthwhile releasing. (Eg there's money to be made if you don't tick off your customers.) Makes me think about the stories I've read where Frank would play for an entire extra hour if he was going to be charged for it, to make it worthwhile and give the fans a bonus. (Just one of his many great points in that he really cared about his fans and publicly declared it as well.) Long live the great memory of Frank Zappa. Frank's music cuts beyond greed.

Jesus, it looks like you'd buy the physical product if it wasn't for the packaging. Fair enough. But you won't buy the downloads because they're in the same quality as the CD's included in the physical product. Huh? For an extra $3.80 CDN I was able to download the two tracks to make the Nov 1 show complete but that's out of the question for you too.

How about:

DON'T buy the physical products
DON'T buy the downloads
DON'T listen to the excellently recorded complete Zappa shows
Go away and buy somebody else's music.

I purchased the downloads. Three COMPLETE shows in AWESOME quality for a very reasonable price. Keep 'em coming ZFT!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:24 am 

A great CD set of great music. Great mix, great performances.

Sure, a big clunky box, maybe too expensive, stupid with a "highlight CD" with unique material (as per MOFO 2CD I stopped being a completist). But the music here is just awesome. You can't do that on stage anymore!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 pm 

Yeah, I had always thought the soundboard bootlegs of these shows sounded excellent but the audio on this new release is a revelation.

Craig Parker Adams is the man!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:02 pm 

Spaceresearcher, I get what your saying, valid points. It's not a perfect release ala Roxy, but still I'll give it a 9 out of 10.
As far as comparing DGM's recent King Crimson Court of... 50th box. That shouldn't even be mentioned alongside this release. Apples & oranges.

*Warning/sidenote*: As a hardcore King Crimson fan too I'm actually going to go with the unpopular take and say that the KC - "ItCotCK Ultimate 50th Anniv" box or whatever it's called officially is a bunch of unnecessary bullshit. As the legendary Jaypfunk would say "REHASH!"

For 1969 KC, I have:
a first pressing Atlantic LP
2002 CD
the next reissue CD/DVD-A (Steven Wilson remix)
Epitaph box set
all Collectors Club CDs(the first one, Hyde Park, Fillmore East)
Why would I want to rebuy all these physical releases repackaged in a new box with a new booklet, and probably an hour of false starts, studio talk, and alt edits of the 1st album? Ridiculous.
I cut myself off on buying King Crimson w/ the official live CDs and Collectors Club releases. Did not purchase the giant boxes of Lark's Tongues, Starless, or Red. Do not really need dozens more audience recordings on CD, along with repackaged CDs I already have.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:34 am 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
If you drop The Black Page #2 and Strictly Genteel from the single disc compilation into the 2-disc set, the edits are seamless.

Have you looked at these tracks in an audio editor?

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
As you say, the edit from Black Page #2 into Whipping Post is abrupt. That's because there's a song missing in between, not sure what you're talking about.
I was just stating a fact, nothing more. I just bought the longer Black Page #2 and it seems they've actually edited in more cheering at the end of the foreshortened Black Page #2, before FZ says thank you.

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
There is no silence at the end of Strictly Genteel on the one I got. Sounds like a 'your system' problem not a ZFT problem. The version of Whipping post is exactly the same on the compilation and on the 2-CD set. Strictly Genteel runs seamlessly into this track.

It's not a 'my system' problem. I downloaded the tracks from iTunes and have imported them directly into my audio editor without making any changes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:35 am 

polydigm wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
If you drop The Black Page #2 and Strictly Genteel from the single disc compilation into the 2-disc set, the edits are seamless.

No, I only listen to them. The edits sound seamless. I'm pretty sure they'd sound seamless no matter what sort of picture I was looking at. I'm positive not every second of audience noise has been included in these sets and that some has certainly been edited out between tracks.

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
As you say, the edit from Black Page #2 into Whipping Post is abrupt. That's because there's a song missing in between, not sure what you're talking about.
I was just stating a fact, nothing more. I just bought the longer Black Page #2 and it seems they've actually edited in more cheering at the end of the foreshortened Black Page #2, before FZ says thank you.

The edit from the shorter version of Black Page #2 to Whipping Post had nothing to do with my post. If you drop the longer Black Page #2 and Strictly Genteel into the Nov 1 show, it will not be an issue, whether it's a fact or not. And they haven't edited more cheering in, they've edited more cheering out.

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
There is no silence at the end of Strictly Genteel on the one I got. Sounds like a 'your system' problem not a ZFT problem. The version of Whipping post is exactly the same on the compilation and on the 2-CD set. Strictly Genteel runs seamlessly into this track.

It's not a 'my system' problem. I downloaded the tracks from iTunes and have imported them directly into my audio editor without making any changes.

So? There is no audible 'break' between Strictly Genteel and Whipping Post either on the Highlights disc or on the edit I suggest. Maybe there's a picture of it on your computer but that's irrelevant to those of us who just listen to the actual audio.

I'm just trying to give the music fans here some helpful advice for those who want to listen to the complete Nov 1 show. Have you actually tried this yet or do you need to look at a few more graphs and charts first?

My suggestion works, I've listened to it. Try it or don't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:25 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
polydigm wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
No, I only listen to them. The edits sound seamless. I'm pretty sure they'd sound seamless no matter what sort of picture I was looking at. I'm positive not every second of audience noise has been included in these sets and that some has certainly been edited out between tracks.

There are plenty of live show collectors out there who would find that abhorrent.

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
polydigm wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
The edit from the shorter version of Black Page #2 to Whipping Post had nothing to do with my post. If you drop the longer Black Page #2 and Strictly Genteel into the Nov 1 show, it will not be an issue, whether it's a fact or not. And they haven't edited more cheering in, they've edited more cheering out.

No, they've edited more cheering into the shortened version on the six disc set. On disc #6 the cheering lasts longer after BP#2 ends before FZ says thankyou.

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
polydigm wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:

So? There is no audible 'break' between Strictly Genteel and Whipping Post either on the Highlights disc or on the edit I suggest. Maybe there's a picture of it on your computer but that's irrelevant to those of us who just listen to the actual audio.

Did I say it should be? I'm just giving the perspective of someone with an interest in audio editing. And for the record, the two Whipping Post tracks are not the same. The highlight track start is cut slightly later than on the main one. The end of the highlight track has different material edited into it so it segues into the Torture track from the 10/31 show.

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
I'm just trying to give the music fans here some helpful advice for those who want to listen to the complete Nov 1 show. Have you actually tried this yet or do you need to look at a few more graphs and charts first?
My suggestion works, I've listened to it. Try it or don't.

You seem to be taking what I'm saying as some kind of personal attack? I've been following the discussion about this removed track since the original announcement of the presale of Halloween 81. We're all different, our interests vary and surely that's a given in discussions here. I'm a self produced composer and have an interest in audio editing. I'm not suggesting everyone should run out and get themselves audio editing software and do this more accurately. Your advice is good if all you're interested in is listening to music, fair enough. Does that mean that your perspective is the only valid one? I just joined this conversation to add a different perspective, not a mutually exclusive one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:05 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Spaceresearcher, I get what your saying, valid points. It's not a perfect release ala Roxy, but still I'll give it a 9 out of 10.
As far as comparing DGM's recent King Crimson Court of... 50th box. That shouldn't even be mentioned alongside this release. Apples & oranges.

*Warning/sidenote*: As a hardcore King Crimson fan too I'm actually going to go with the unpopular take and say that the KC - "ItCotCK Ultimate 50th Anniv" box or whatever it's called officially is a bunch of unnecessary bullshit. As the legendary Jaypfunk would say "REHASH!"

For 1969 KC, I have:
a first pressing Atlantic LP
2002 CD
the next reissue CD/DVD-A (Steven Wilson remix)
Epitaph box set
all Collectors Club CDs(the first one, Hyde Park, Fillmore East)
Why would I want to rebuy all these physical releases repackaged in a new box with a new booklet, and probably an hour of false starts, studio talk, and alt edits of the 1st album? Ridiculous.
I cut myself off on buying King Crimson w/ the official live CDs and Collectors Club releases. Did not purchase the giant boxes of Lark's Tongues, Starless, or Red. Do not really need dozens more audience recordings on CD, along with repackaged CDs I already have.

Well that's fair enough. Myself, I recently traded in my entire catalogue of what's to be re-released in this set(for some Todd Rundgren) as there's many live concerts in the set I don't have and I lost a lot of those tracks when I was forced to sell my 'Frame by Frame' box set years ago. So myself I'm looking forward but I can understand your dilemma there. Personally I was a touch cheesed they didn't include ALL of the 'Giles, Giles and Fripp' material which should have been in here and would have incorporated the now hard to find 'Brondsbury tapes' and the complete with bonuses release of GG&F. Other than that, I'm looking forward to having this incredible looking set, especially for the high quality 'Blu Ray' which has hifi transfers and a quality you certainly do not have from the releases you have mentioned there. Food for thought fellow fan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:09 am 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:

Jesus, it looks like you'd buy the physical product if it wasn't for the packaging. Fair enough. But you won't buy the downloads because they're in the same quality as the CD's included in the physical product. Huh? For an extra $3.80 CDN I was able to download the two tracks to make the Nov 1 show complete but that's out of the question for you too.

How about:

DON'T buy the physical products
DON'T buy the downloads
DON'T listen to the excellently recorded complete Zappa shows
Go away and buy somebody else's music.

I purchased the downloads. Three COMPLETE shows in AWESOME quality for a very reasonable price. Keep 'em coming ZFT!

Dear fellow fan, you did not read my response 'completely' and have jumped to an assumption that is incorrect(as most assumptions are.)

So as already mentioned, it will be a purchase in the future but not for the full outright price there asking, it just doesn't give this fan the value there after and worse, it's lied about being a complete concert set, which no one can hide, cover up or deny. Paying extra for a download? You shouldn't have to!!!! It declares 'complete concerts.' Comprende????

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:15 am 

One more important point is that if the downloads are in MP3 format, there not in the same quality as the CD's, don't make that mistake. If there are FLAC's well be aware this stands for 'Fairly Lossless Audio Compression' originally and recently 'Free Lossless Audio Codec' (even though there are known slight losses but what would you expect for a free audio codec) and as such it IS NOT the same quality as the CD release, unless these FLAC's are actually from the master sample rate mentioned above, but going by what we have been given access to in the previous release (Halloween 73) I seriously doubt it. By all means prove me wrong, I'd be over joyed to know I can get a terrific COMPLETE superior quality copy of these no doubt dynamite concerts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:36 pm 

Here's a bit of a sore point for some fans but the 'Beet The Boots Volume 1' album 'As An Am' contains 3 tracks allegedly from the NYC Palladium 31/10/81 (10/31/81 for American fans) show. (Maybe it isn't? the information on the Boots is often not accurate.)

Would this mean that this release is actually a 75 'unreleased' tracks, not a 78 unreleased tracks as proclaimed. While yes it's a bootleg version, it was from a set that was 'authorized' by Frank(even if he had nothing to do with the actual release itself.)

:roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:35 am 

Spaceresearcher wrote:
'Beet The Boots Volume 1'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:49 am 

cory1984 wrote:
Spaceresearcher wrote:
'Beet The Boots Volume 1'

The Boot's series vegetarian option, FZ always thinking about all of his fans.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:16 pm 

Happy Halloween everybody,

Be it if fans are listening on CD, FLAC, Streaming or MP3, today begins the Halloween week celebration. Back when Frank played Halloween shows in NY the week was I Am All Day and Night Frank Zappa.

As I listen to the shows I am hearing some things that quickly went unnoticed as I sat and watched front front row center. Not to give any surprises away, I'll just give a nod of Conceptual Continuity with Norma Jean Bell, of noting where she performed with a guitarist that Frank gives a nod to in one of his solos.

Goodnight Tommy Bolin wherever you are.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6